Saturday, February 7, 2009

God on campus?

Spirituality is often a controversial topic on a college campus.  Some feel uncomfortable discussing their religious beliefs while others are happy to express them.  For my beat, I have decided to observe and report on spiritual expression on campus.  I plan on attending a few meets of Towson University's religious organizations such as Campus Crusade for Christ, attending Towson Hillel events, and interviewing students on their expression.

My parents are both pastors so spirituality has been a part of my life since I could remember.  For this reason I thought it would be an excellent choice of a beat topic because it allows me to express my opinions as well as learn about other students' opinions on religion and spirituality.  I am hoping to learn a lot about a variety of religions present on TU's campus and how students express their beliefs.

"We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness.  God is the friend of silence.  See how nature-trees, flowers, grass-grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...We need silence to be able to touch souls."-Mother Theresa



2 comments:

Jennie B. said...

Really good idea!

jenny atwater said...

Hi Melissa,
I think this sounds very interesting. I'm looking forward to reading your blog.